Monday, July 28, 2014

July 7th, 2014: BOLD & BLONDE

Hello everyone!
How has your week been?
 I hope all you Americans had a wonderful 4th of July celebration! I celebrated by going to 5 Guys for lunch, and it was definitely worth it (:

This week has been so great and we have another fantastic week planned! 
Sister Cranfield went to the doctor and got some allergy medication and is doing much better and we've been able to work hard since then.

I had such a great time going on exchanges with my sister trainer leader, Sister Polidario. She is such a dedicated leader and she taught me how to be bold when speaking to people. One thing that amazes me is how much love I feel for perfect strangers. But I know that this love is because the Lord loves them and I am His ever faithful servant. 

One of our favorite ward members is our dear Sister Burgess. She is turning 86 on Wednesday and is always looking for ways to serve us. Even at her age she does missionary work. At her home she receives reflexology work on her feet and legs due to her being confined to a chair, and she had us come over when she was getting this done. This gave us the wonderful opportunity to do some teaching and fellowshipping for her friend Maurine. Also, she tells us how when we come to visit that it's the highlight of her week and that we are like her daughters. 

We also have a baptismal date! Alex! He was found by some Elders that used to be in our ward a while ago and he is so amazing. He is from Iran though, so he will have to talk to the mission president before he can get baptised. But he has such a love for the scriptures and loves to serve people. He is always smiling, even though he is away from his wife and family because of work. He also does a lot of missionary work and tells everyone he knows about the Book of Mormon and the good news of the Gospel. Brothers and sisters, it truly is good news!


So I guess I should explain my "Bold and Blonde" moments for this week. 

We were teaching this 80 or so year old man named Ian. He is a Hebrew professor to this day and definitely knows his bible. He whole heartedly agrees that the King James version is the most accurate translation, as do we. He even volunteers to help vicars prepare their sermons. So needless to say he has a strong religious background coupled with a wide historical knowledge. I mention all of this to show that he is pretty set in his ways. He's been more than willing to visit with us and have theological conversations, but I had a feeling we needed to be bold with him and teach him in a way that would lead to progression. Because the Spirit was so strong I was able to tell him the he needed to come to church, that he needed to follow through on his commitments and actually read from the Book Of Mormon. I spoke to him with power that was beyond my own. I told him to put his fears of others opinions behind and show God his faith. He said that he was becoming convinced and that he would come to church and read and pray. He said he wished that everyone was Mormon and that the world would be a better place for it. So he may not know it yet, but he's at the top of our list for who we are focusing on this week and I'm very excited!

Blonde moments:
I somehow managed to run into a wall that I've successfully walked past every single day without injury, but not this time. 
We were on the phone with a member who said she was in " Gloster" and wouldn't be able to come on a teach with us. Mistakenly I thought I heard  her say she was eating "lobster" with her family. I was very confused why her meal would take over 4 hours. My companion lovingly explained the error of my ways. 
I also went into a fit of laughter while trying to account with our district leader, so that was interesting.
I make mention of these things to assure you all that I'm still being myself :)


Oh! and the most important event of all... We went to the temple yesterday with an investigator named Carol Ann (mom, she was so amazed you had the same name as her, and it actually was a tender mercy that helped us bond with her more). We took her to a beautiful musical fireside about the Savior. She also has a lot of potential, and I'm really excited to begin teaching her more!

I love you all.
Life is good, and God is good.
Keep the faith,

-Sister Lydiksen (:


No comments:

Post a Comment